26th Annual Calgary Pride ParadeSunday, September 4, 2016 - 12pm
2016 brings forth the 26th iteration of the annual Calgary Pride Parade – the signature event that colours all of downtown Calgary with rainbows and smiles! Originally a small march of LGBT Calgarians, some of whom wore masks and bags over their faces to protect from persecution, the event has grown in leaps and bounds to become the second biggest parade in Calgary.
Today, Calgary Pride welcomes non profit organizations, businesses big and small, politicians, political parties, churches, unions, and more, all to come together and celebrate Calgary’s diversity. This incredible gathering of inclusive and diverse organizations draws tens of thousands of spectators each year, and showcases the diversity of Calgary’s community.
AS OF FRIDAY, JULY 15, 2016
Everything you ever wanted to know about being in the parade
What is the application process?
- Apply online using the form below, telling us about you and your parade entry.
- Shortly after you submit your application, an invoice will automatically be emailed to you. Payments are due within 30 days.
- We will receive and review your application to ensure it meets our application criteria.
- Once your application has been reviewed, we will contact you to grant approval or to request further information.
What is the difference between a standard and a large vehicle?
Standard vehicles have 4 wheels (or less) and do not exceed 16 feet in length.
Large vehicles are over 16 feet in length; floats or any vehicle with a trailer are considered large vehicles.
Maximum length for entries is 60 feet in length.
Can I play music with my entry?
Absolutely! We love having plenty of music to keep the crowd energized and excited. We just ask that music be kept off or at a low level in the staging area.
Can I invite another group to march with mine?
We encourage everyone to participate in this event! However, to keep it fair and equitable for everyone, we do require that each separate group or organization register and pay separately.
In your application, we encourage you to let us know of any other groups you’d like to be placed close to, and we do our best to honour all requests.
What are the requirements for politicians/political parties?
There are a few additional requirements for politicians and political parties who wish to participate in the parade – more information is available here.
How much are the application fees?
Check out our fee schedule here.
What are my payment options?
Payment can either be made online via credit card, or by cheque, made out to Pride Calgary Planning Committee.
Are dogs permitted in the parade?
Well behaved and calm dogs are welcome to participate in the parade, provided they are on leash at all times, and any waste is cleaned up immediately. Please ensure that you bring water for them as well, as none will be available in the staging area.
We ask that individuals each only walk one dog in the parade.
Can I hand out materials to the crowd?
Yes, with a few conditions:
- A description of the materials being distributed must be included with the application.
- Materials must be individually handed to spectators. At no time may they be thrown, tossed, or scattered to the crowd.
- Calgary Pride reserves the right to inspect and to withdraw approval for any material at any time.
- Stickers are not an acceptable material, as they pose a significant litter problem along the parade route.
- We encourage organizations to seek out “green” materials to reduce the environmental impact of the Calgary Pride Parade.